Tuesday, April 26, 2011

You learn something new everyday.

What I'm about to say may come as a shock to some of you, but there are a LOT of things I don't know how to do. In fact, if I had to give a ratio of things I don't know how to do to things I do, it'd be at least 2-to-1. (Okay okay, 3-to-1.)

Many of the things I don't know how to do don't really phase me that much. For instance, if I never learn how to drive an 18-wheeler, I'll live.
Unless it's a glow-in-the-dark 18 wheeler.

There are a lot of things, though, that I really would like to learn how to do. Like wall-scaling.

But only if I get to wear a costume, obvi.
So I started thinking...why shouldn't I be able to learn all the things I want to know how to do? There's an awesome company called Skillshare whose founders had the same thought.  I'm a huge fan of theirs, but I think the skill-sharing market is still largely under-exploited.  Skillshare allows people to sign up for one-time lessons taught by people who have whatever skill set it is they're sharing.  (I recently attended a class on the legal preparations startups should take...great class.)

What I want to do, though, is provide an outlet for people whose skills can't be taught in a one hour session.  Things like basic car maintenance, website design, or weave-sewing lessons.

So this tragedy never has to be repeated.

The site would basically function as a classy online university (I felt the distinction was necessary).

Instructors would set their course calendar, post a "syllabus," set their fee terms, and start enrolling students. Students who were looking for classes could also post their requests on the site, in hopes that instructors would soon start offering the class. My site, (which has a working title of "KJ University"), would collect a percentage of student enrollment fees.

Why I think this would work:

1) Everyone's a potential instructor.
      We all have some kind of talent. Chances are, there's something you know how to do that a lot of people would pay you money to learn. 

2) Everyone's a potential student.
       As awesome as I know my readers are, I'm sure all of you have a skill you're wishing you had picked up earlier. There's no time like the present to learn.

The bottom line is, there's a world of information out there waiting to be shared, and I think this is a great way to share it. But who cares what I think - what are your thoughts? Holler back.

1 comment:

  1. Hey love! Great idea- your post make me think of Khan Academy. Check it out: http://www.khanacademy.org/

    ReplyDelete